How To Use
This page was last updated on 22 March 2021
Turning Policy Into Law is a quick reference guide for officials involved in instructing the PCO.
The guide covers:
- the key steps in a standard process for Bills
- the roles of instructors, drafters, and other key people involved at each step
- tips for how to work best with others at key steps
- more detailed FAQs that address particular issues that instructors regularly encounter
- a kit for instructions including templates and a planner for timing on Bills.
Using the Step-by-Step Guide graphic
To get started, click on the Step-by-Step Guide graphic. It will walk you through the legislative process, from idea to Bill to Act, or you can jump to whatever point you are interested in.
We recommend using the graphic in any browser other than Internet Explorer.
You can then:
- get more detail from the FAQs—there are links to relevant FAQs at many points within the guide
- use the Instruction Kit for:
- building blocks for a solid foundation
- templates for drafting instructions (Bill and secondary legislation) and a Bill planner that sets out the steps from instructions to introduction
- contact details for drafting team managers and the Publication Manager
- check the meaning of terms in the Glossary
- find information from other providers under External Resources
- print all the text from the Step-by-Step Guide, or view it as a single document: see Whole Step-by-Step Guide (Text Only)
- return to the main document under Step-by-Step Guide in the top menu.
At present the guide’s main focus is Bills. But it contains information about developing secondary legislation as well:
- FAQs 2.1 to 2.11 relate to developing secondary legislation
- FAQs 3.1 to 3.3 relate to after legislation has been enacted or made
- use the template for drafting instructions on secondary legislation, under Instruction Kit
- External Resources include links to the Cabinet Manual and the CabGuide.
We will build on this area over time.
We are keen to hear how well this resource meets your needs, so we can refine and develop it further. Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Substantive updates to Turning Policy Into Law are listed here.
Template for drafting instructions on secondary legislation: information about Regulatory Impact Statement requirements added, and unnecessary references to LDAC checklist and General Policy Statement removed. See Instruction Kit. Updated 22 March 2021.
legislative statements: a new FAQ 1.19A Do I need to prepare a legislative statement and what information should the statement contain?, and a new glossary entry added on 17 March 2021.
Parliamentary sitting calendar (2021) under External Resources, updated 10 December 2020.
Standing Orders: The 2020 edition was published on 21 October 2020. References to Standing Orders have been updated to refer to the 2020 edition.
See the PCO Quarterly for a summary of changes made in the 2020 edition. Updated December 2020.